Monday, March 29, 2010

Embodying the SLRs While Empathizing


"Wanting a Meal" - Kevin Carter


Think Creatively!

There are a few elements in my collage that demonstrate my creative thinking. My belief is that the idea for showcasing the pictures in the shape of a human, as well as my idea of adding quotes directly from the Lost Boys to illustrate their misery was evidence of my creativity. Shaping part of the collage as a human was a successful approach because the face was left in my power. The face could be whatever I intended to be. The quotes humanized the Lost Boys, and hopefully added voice. I wanted to make each quote from the Lost Boys sound like a beseechment to the viewer. I feel that the shaping of part of the collage as a human, as well as quoting the Lost Boys directly, effectively illustrated my creative thinking.

Reason Critically!

Using logistic reasoning, I was enabled to add many textual and visual objects to my collage that highlighted the unfortunate situation of the Lost Boys. I used pictures that illustrated the starvation, death, and suffering in Sudan; pictures that showed the shelters, totem poles, traditional scarring and dress of the Dinka culture; and pictures that showed how to solve the problems in Sudan. I feel that the writing carried the narration of the lives of these Lost Boys because of specific quote choice. Most of the images showed the aftermath of the conflicts, the fruit of the culture, and the organizations and promising events that could bring relief to such suffering. I feel I used critical reasoning to choose proper images and text and highlight my knowledge of the Lost Boys’ situations.

Communicate Effectively!

My collage effectively communicates the struggles of the Lost Boys through compelling images and direct quotes taken from the Lost Boys that describe their conflicts. I feel that the collage features many striking, affecting images about true events. The use of the political cartoon in the lower corner, as well as words such as “genocide” and “speak” to show exactly what was happening in Sudan and how the viewer can raise awareness themselves.

Live Ethically!

My collage voiced my identification with the Lost Boys and hopefully invoked empathy and the determination to act from viewers through powerful pictures that showed the story like it was. I think my use of children as the majority of victims, such as the pictures of starvation, helped show that these problems affected everything. I hope that the picture of a healthy baby being held by its mother in close proximity to the toddler collapsed out of hunger, shadowed by a vulture- shows the disparity between the lucky and the unlucky in Sudan. Because of the innocence of little children, I hope that those images will haunt the viewer and incite them to act. I feel that my caring towards those in Sudan is shown through the face I drew. The face shows that I identify with the emotions that these people are feeling, even if the causes are less grave.










http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cChh5FkCG5Y

No comments:

Post a Comment